Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Jessica Update: 12/22/04

Hi everyone

I got back from Chatham on Saturday afternoon, after having spent 4 weeks there on a surgical placement. I had a fantastic experience there, and am feeling very blessed at the moment by all that God has done. The surgeon that I was working with is a Christian, and it was such a privilege to work with someone who takes his relationship with the Lord very seriously, and whose walk is very much reflected in everything he does. I think I had mentioned before that he's spent time overseas, and he was very interested to hear about my experiences and my vision for the future. He was an excellent teacher, and I learned so much! I was able to be his main assistant for nearly all of the surgeries that he did (which would not happen if I'd been in Hamilton with a number of residents/interns and other students all looking for the same experiences!). I really enjoyed participating in surgeries, and this time has confirmed to me that I want to train in a surgical specialty when I finish medical school. I'm not quite sure what that will be yet, but I have a little bit of time yet to figure that out. The staff at the hospital were all very welcoming and encouraging, too. And my accommodations were great! I really don't have anything negative to say about my time there at all. Dr. Kraulis wrote me a very nice evaluation, and said he'd be happy to write me a reference letter for my residency applications when the time comes, which is a blessing. He went far beyond the job of a supervisor - he and his wife had me over for meals several times, and drove me to the grocery store when I needed, drove me to the train station, etc. I felt very well taken care of!

So now I'm back and have a 2-week holiday, which is the most holiday we get during the year, so I'm taking advantage of it! We'll be going as a family to Connecticut for Christmas to visit my dad's family there and to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday. And then I'll have a week at home during which I will not be opening any textbooks! Then on Jan 3 I leave for Sault Ste Marie, where I will be for 6 weeks doing Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Thanks so much for all the prayers and the support - I love you all!

May you all have a very blessed and Merry Christmas!

Jessica

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess!

Good stuff, fun having you around again. Yes, people do love you even if they don't post comments on what you write!

December 22, 2004 at 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess,

Good work. Sorry we won't see you in CT. We love you.

Matthew, Lisa, Ethan and Owen.

December 24, 2004 at 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home